Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day in NYC

On Saturday, I spent a day in NYC with Ysolda and we did typically geeky things that knitters and in particular, knit designers, tend to do when we get together.

Our first stop was Kinokuniya because Ysolda wanted to check out some Japanese pattern books. We ran into a bit of a hiccup in our first attempt to find the place because my iPhone claimed there was a location near Rockefeller center and apparently they've since moved a couple of blocks down near the vicinity of Bryant Park. On the way there, we passed by the Immigrant's Day Parade along Sixth Ave -- which at first, we thought was a Thai National Holiday parade because several Thai floats in succession passed us by.

We stayed in Kinikuniya for a long time - there were so many beautiful knitting, crochet, and sewing books that lingering was all too easy until my grumbling stomach reminded us that it was three in the afternoon and we hadn't had lunch yet.

I took Ysolda to Alice's Tea Cup on the Upper East side. It's a little cutesy, but I thought she'd like the place and their high tea is really good. Unfortunately, to share a serving of high tea, we had to add another teapot of tea and scone to the already large order. In the end, that meant we shared between the two of us - two sandwiches, 3 scones, a huge slice of cake, 5 assorted cookies, and two 3-cup (but really, 4-5 cup) teapots of tea. It was all very good, but by the end of our meal we only picked at the last platter and were very ready to walk to our next destination - Tender Buttons (which Melissa introduced us to the last time Ysolda was visiting)!

Going to Tender Buttons was my idea. I'm finished with the linen cardigan I was working on during my RV trip through Maine and Canada with my in-laws and wanted the perfect buttons to go with it. Of course, convincing Ysolda to come didn't take much arm twisting. This time, we got permission to take some pictures of the shop:



I love the rows of boxes upon boxes of buttons, each labeled meticulously by hand with the country of origin, material, and date (if relevant). Ysolda may have purchased some buttons:



And I found perfect abalone shell buttons tinted a delicate green for my cardi:


After Tender Buttons, we wandered to Central Park for some knitting which was interrupted by a sudden (but brief) downpour. We took refuge in the Central Park Dairy which a Tango class also used as shelter from the rain. It was a bit surreal with me finishing the collar of my cardi and Ysolda working on her secret shawl and pairs of tango-ing couples spinning in front of us.

edited to add: Ysolda was an extremely good sport about my constant complaining about the heat. Humidity and I don't play well together. Is summer over yet?

4 Comments:

Anonymous kat said...

what fun! sounds like a near perfect day even with the humidity...easy for me to say.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Can't wait to see your cardi!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds like the best day ever! What kind of scones did you get?

3:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the post about Kinokuniya - I made a mental note to head up there some time, and when I had a half day off recently I biked up to check it out. I'd read about a Japanese crochet/knitting book that I wanted to find, as well. I too stayed there until my rumbling stomach made me leave the store. I loved how polite everybody in there is - so formal in little things - how they say thank you ("Hai") all the time. It's a great store!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home