Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Nifty Nymph Tee

The new Knitscene is out and I have a design in it. The folks at Knitscene named it the Nymph Tee...maybe to evoke a free-spirited, bohemian vibe? In my files for it, I rather unimaginatively named it dolman. Thank goodness the good people at Knitscene/Interweave have a better imagination than me!

I don't think it's a secret that I love set in sleeves, but I thought I should try to branch out a little bit. This is my first dolman sleeved sweater and I liked the shape more than I thought I would. There's a bit of bunchiness under the arm because of the extra fabric, but it also offers a lot of design possibilities. Stitch patterns can be continued uninterrupted from the neckline to the shoulder to the sleeve. They can be very dramatic (see Melissa's Tatami or Angela's Wyvern Wrap). It's a shape I'll definitely revisit again.

The other challenge with this design is that it's intended for beginning knitters. Designing attractive sweaters that are accessible to beginners is definitely difficult. Katie Himmelberg has designed some lovely garments suitable for beginners, but which are nonetheless flattering and stylish. I have obviously have a lot to learn, but I can't wait to take another crack at it in the future.

This is also the first square neck sweater I've made and I completely miscalculated where to begin the neck shaping. Here is a first attempt:



I'm used to V-necks where the neck shaping typically starts at the same point where armhole shaping begins. But for a square neck and for a dolman sleeve, the situation is a little different. You can see that I began the neck shaping too early and the weight of the sleeves is dragging the neck opening too wide. Not good. So, I ripped back and started the shaping a little further up:



Ahhh...much better. Last note... I love the color of the yarn. It's not a color I would normally be drawn to, but I think I'll have to make a sweater in this color for myself at some point.

12 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

I think you met this design challenge well - it's a very flattering little sweater (and the naming thing - pfft. I will never be able to come up with a *good* name!) It's nice to see your learning process too - I have learned so much in that last week. If I weren't actually excited about it, I would be so discouraged! ;)

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this sweater on the preview and loved it! I think that it is gorgeous.

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, congrats on another great design.

6:09 AM  
Blogger craftoholic said...

That's a beautiful design!! I have to admit I love the low-cut earlier version because I like layers to show, but I realize it would be difficult to keep the sleeves from falling off. It's great that you keep wearability in mind!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

What a lovely design! Good job on the collar :)

9:22 AM  
Blogger kat coyle said...

I would definitely wear this. What yarn did you use?

9:58 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

very cute pattern, connie! i love the lace around the shoulders :)

6:18 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I meant to tell you that I saw this on the preview and loved it (and the name suits, I think!). I agree with you, it can be tricky to design for beginners-- you did a great job with this one.

10:41 AM  
Blogger jillian said...

For someone who thinks she has alot to learn, you made a gorgeous pattern that I think is equally attractive to beginners and more accomplished knitters! Patterns certainly don't have to be complicated to be lovely :) I bet it's harder to make a simple design interesting, though. I love this design - geometric, minimalist, worsted weight :) Yay!

12:36 PM  
Blogger badmomgoodmom said...

Lovely pattern. And I agree with you about the color. Would you call it cement or gray-beige?

4:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this is so pretty! good work as usual.

4:00 PM  
Blogger yvonnep said...

I love this model, it is so chique!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home