Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Too many projects syndrome

I went into the city yesterday and finally got a copy of the winter issue of Interweave Knits. Seeing it physically in my hands was quite different than seeing it online - it feels more real somehow. And it's thrilling to see my name in the table of contents alongside some of my favorite designers.

Speaking of favorite designers that are in the winter IK, I'm almost done with Angela Hahn's Dragon Skin Wrap. Here it is, waiting to be blocked.

Because Angela has you knit a double knit slip stitch edging concurrently with the wrap, there's very little finishing involved (yay!). After it's blocked, all I need to do is make the ties and weave in the ends. The edging is Anne Modesitt's invention and I've used it also in a design for Yahaira's second book, Pure Knits. I like how self finishing it is, but I sometimes have a problem with the edge knit stitch looking too loose. I wonder what I'm doing wrong?


While I was in the city, I also picked up a skein of Jade Sapphire cashmere 2 ply laceweight for a light scarf. Originally, I wanted to make a Wisp. It's lightweight, it's floaty, it's ethereal - perfect for a measley 400 yards of laceweight cashmere right? But that's before I saw Miriam's new Knitty pattern, Juno Regina, which just went live yesterday - notification (for me, anyway) courtesy of those super quick knitters in the know on Ravelry. I love diamonds and geometric motifs in lace; and I love how she cleverly echoes the diamond lace with an overall diamond shape on either end of the stole. Unfortunately, since my 400 yards are much less than the 900 or so she uses, I'll have to narrow my stole until it's more scarf-like which is what I'm aiming for anyway - a nice, light scarf to wear in the upcoming winter months.

5 Comments:

Blogger kat coyle said...

I have to go buy my issue today! I too have that problem with loose edge sts....
and that scarf -Juno Regina- is beautiful. I hadn't seen it before. It's hard to keep up!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I'm glad you have your own copy of IK!
I've never used Annie Modesitt's edging, but I always thought it looked very neat.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

Yes I'm intrigued by that edging too..will now go and study the Dragon Skin Wrap pattern! Your's is looking lovely!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Nice job on the Dragon Skin wrap! I found that when I blocked it, stretching the diagonal opening edge in the process, the edge stitches looked more even. Also remember they're slipped stitches, so each one is 2 rows long. I noticed that scarf pattern too--really pretty. (Did you see the Knitting Daily poll results? Your Henley is #1 in popularity in the Winter issue! Congratulations!)

1:24 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Loved all your sweater designs - I was flipping through my copy of IK and noticed your design. I'll have to try to get a copy of the summer Knitter's. I'm glad to hear that Knitting Etc. is thriving under new ownership. You may have a vague recollection of me from the department based one flight up the stairs from yours in Clark Hall.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home