Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Breakfast when the cat's away

My husband is the cat of course. And he's off to NYC to interview for a job so that at least one of us can be gainfully employed. I dropped him off at the train station at 6:30 this morning and stopped by the 24 hour Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins (the latter is more useful for me) for some breakfast. Usually when he's home, we eat very healthily. Breakfast might be toast with peanut butter (gotta love those Omega3s) or yogurt, fruit, and granola bars. When he's away though, I break out the donuts (an apple crawler, because a glazed donut just wasn't going to do it today, is pictured below) and black coffee.


I pulled an all-nighter last night frantically trying to finish up a couple of late late projects. Ends are all woven in now on both projects and buttons remain to be purchased for the second. I've already polished off the donut and hope I don't accidentally spill coffee on my late night work.

As a designer, I'm doing things I've never done as a knitter. I'm particularly proud of something I've learned in the past few days - the tubular cast on and the tubular bind off (also known as the sewn bind off). It makes for a very neat, elastic edge in ribbing. And it's so pretty :) Here's a peek at the project I used it for:

Jodi gives a really great tutorial for the bind off on her blog. It's a pain at first, but you really get into the rhythm of it after a while. Still, it's much slower than a traditional bind off, but the final product is really really nice. I used it because my design has a very deep scoop neck that would have been too floppy if bound off in the customary way.

Sorry for the lack of coherence. I don't weather all-nighters like I used to. I'm getting old!

Edited to add: Oh, and the yarn I was working with for one of the projects is so delicate that it was felting like a motherf****r while I was working with it. Picture me on my sofa at 4 a.m., X-files playing in the background, trying desperately not to handle my knitting too much while I was picking up and knitting a border. I tried doing it with gloves, I tried doing it with Kleenex cushioning either side of the work area, but finally gave up and just attempted to keep my hands very very dry.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lolly said...

Funny how you are the one cheating on the diet when he is gone! when I was away last week, my husband ate crap foods left and right...

What a pretty bind off :)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

Wow...don't know if I could pull an all-nighter! I agree it's fun to find yourself doing/trying new knitting techniques and adding things to the repertoire...I haven't tried the tubular cast on/off...think I'll have to now!

7:24 AM  
Blogger kat coyle said...

You're living on the knitting edge, pulling all nighters, tubular bind off and sweaty hands. I got nervous just reading about it! But, you're almost done. YAY. I think when you're on NO sleep donuts are in order.

8:18 AM  
Blogger GC said...

What does "felting like a motherfather" mean?

9:38 AM  
Blogger loopylulu said...

I can totally imagine your felting dilemna. I have the sweatiest hands in general, so felting yarn is always a total pain for me to work with. Congrats for chugging through, especially at 4 in the morning.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Isn't tubular the best?! It just looks so neat and professional. Have you used the italian method for the cast-on? It's the least tedious...
I've been using Louet sock yarn, which others have raved about, but not only is it loosely plied, it also felts in my hands. I thought I was dreaming it, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one :)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I have to agree with you on the tubular co and bo. And I also didn't find these until I started to design. It's funny how much you can take for granted when you are following others instructions!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, you have to tell us what yarn that was!!! i don't want to buy it

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home