Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

That's what I call a *big* skein

Last week, I finally bought a ball winder to go along with my new simple swift from Italy. And today, I used it to wind one of the largest skeins of yarn I've ever seen (aside from those mega-huge laceweight skeins from Handmaiden). For comparison's sake, here's the skein next to a piddly skein of Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift yarn:

And here's the wound ball, still sitting on the ball winder:

The yarn is for my next project, something for Yahaira's PureKnits book. It's a lambswool, angora, and cashmere blend - very dry to the touch, but interesting. I think the final fabric it'll make will be lovely.

Hope everyone in the States had a happy fourth! We ate blueberries and strawberries to commemorate the occasion. I wanted to get Cool Whip for the white part of the red, white, and blue, but had to settle for some lemon yogurt that was already in the fridge because all of the grocery shops nearby were closed.

10 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

That is a big skein - where did it come from?

8:11 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Penny, I'm not sure about the specifics of this yarn, but it was sent directly from Pureknits.com so it's a yarn that Yahaira carries .

8:32 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Oh, it's huuuuge!

11:02 AM  
Blogger OLGAJAZZY said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:49 PM  
Blogger OLGAJAZZY said...

Oh, i have some of that too! I love that yarn! I am hoping to make something from it soon, may be even for my husband, Penny that
yarn comes from Pureknits, but it's spun on a mill in China.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You needed the JUMBO ball winder and yes ther is one....

11:23 AM  
Blogger Iris G said...

You know, I can't even Look at such a huge, monstrous skein!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I've got a couple like that. Isn't it fun?

12:06 PM  
Blogger kylieps said...

That skein is amazing! Do you need more than one to make what you have in mind? Thanks for your advice on the Tylenol PM. I'm sleeping again finally! (and without help!) Glad you found me. I haven't really told anyone yet...I couldn't get back into blogger and it was an opportune moment to hide from my overzealous mother. sigh.

7:27 PM  
Blogger kat coyle said...

The yarn looks deliscious like vanilla ice cream. Is the design for her Sensual Knits book or a different book?

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home