Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Monday, June 18, 2007

Inaugural spin

I'm beginning to feel like a real knitter! When I was in Milano, in addition to my yarn purchase, I bought a simple, but lovely wooden swift. I've resisted this for years, preferring to wind yarn hanks either with my husband's help or by laying the hank out on a flat surface and carefully picking my way through it; but ever since I've started regarding knitting more seriously (first, with a sample knitting gig with Hickory at Knitting Etc, then with designing), I've slowly started accruing the tools (toys) of a proper knitter. Now, armed with a blocking board and swift, I think I'm only missing a ball winder (though I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting).

I've documented the inaugural spin of my swift here:


And here is the swift neatly folded up and ready to be put away:


The yarn is Blue Sky Alpacas Cotton in Color 628, destined for the Lutea Lace Shoulder Shell by Angela Hahn. Can't wait to start knitting it. Hopefully I'll have it done by the time the weather cools a little bit (Blue Sky cotton is quite heavy due to the gauge and isn't exactly a summer yarn in my opinion - it's more spring/fall-ish).

8 Comments:

Blogger Veronique said...

You definitely need a ball winder! It goes to fast...
Can't wait to meet you on friday :)

11:27 AM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

I totally want a yarn swift and my husband did try hard to get me an antique one on ebay for my birthday but it didn't happen! So I still do it around my knees or the back of a chair...I kind of like it.
I love the colour of the blue sky. I just knit up a swatch of their organic cotton and it is so soft!!

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to get the ball winder-it will change your life for the better and cut your winding time in at least half...I love the Blue Sky Cotton and you chose one of my favorite colors...
Thank Your for the kind words in regards to my Lucy--She is part Boarder Collie, Shepherd and who knows what else...I rescued her almost 10 years ago after I was broken into while I was sleeping. This was the second time this happened to me and I was not hurt either time but the police said "get a dog" both times---so I figured I was not going to tempt fait and I had Lucy with in the week...Something really good came from those break ins....

1:18 AM  
Blogger Hickory said...

OOh, that's a nice swift. It's not like the one I was thinking at all. I bet it's fine for the fingering yarns. The ones I have at the shop are bigger and bulkier and a little heavier. They should have bearings in them! I did have some like yours, and I really loved them, but now I don't know where to get them :(

And yup, ball winders are really nice and quick!

See you soon! Hickory

6:05 AM  
Blogger Iris G said...

Oh I am so jealous ;-). The yarn swift looks like a piece of artwork. And like others have said, your choice of yarn is always perfect. Have fun with Lutea!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

hooray for proper tools! they make the job so much easier and you totally need to get on that ball winder! :)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

that is definitely the prettiest yarn swift ever! much nice than my cheapo aluminum one.

and i'm in with veronique, you totally need to ball winder!

and btw, it was totally nice to meet you tonight! you must make it out to nyc more often!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Mona Schmidt said...

This swift is more like a piece of artwork than any other I have seen. (Now I kind of wish to have one like this myself, because it stores way easier than mine - which is a perfectly beautiful and well working swift, too, I might add.)

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home