Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Feeling totally lame...

...about having a knitting blog without actually showing any knitting, I'm going to post some info on an old project I finished 2 years ago.


This is the Sampler Stole by Hazel Carter in A Gathering of Lace. I'm not usually a shawl person. Most days you'll find me in my beloved tank top and sweats - anything with collars, waists, etc is anathema to me. In fact, I usually wear my tank tops inside out to avoid direct contact with seams. So you can forget about dresses. But there was something about this stole and its photo in the book against a wrought iron fence that spoke to me. It looked impossibly ephemeral, like fog or mist or a half forgotten memory. And I had to make it.

I used Jaggerspun Zephyr - that delectable combination of whisper thin merino and silk in the sage colorway, but I think it would also be lovely in Kidsilk Haze or Habu silk-wool, or any of the other lovely lace-weight yarns available these days.

Here's a close up:


Yes, that's a mistake in the first row of elongated hexagons where I somehow skipped a stitch, shifting everything. I didn't notice it until the stole was blocked. And I didn't do the border. I like my shawls rectangular and free of frills, but if I had to do it over again, I would probably widen it by one column of motifs to compensate for the fact that it lacks an edging.

It's been stuffed in a drawer for the past 2 years. I think I've used it once. And it sorely needs a good reblocking.

10 Comments:

Blogger Hickory said...

That's very beautiful. I always want to knit lace shawls, but know that I wouldn't have any place to wear them either :) It looks just lovely hanging in the window though.
you should leave it right there like a curtain panel so that you can look at it every day.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

That is gorgeous Connie...I agree it needs to be seen even if only as a nice touch of interior decor! I have some of that Jaggerspun yarn also in the sage colour....it is sooo incredibly soft and lovely...I also recently got some of the same stuff in a DK weight and I'm knitting something up right now...not quite as soft as the lace weight but nice nonetheless.

6:29 PM  
Blogger kat coyle said...

I think leaving it out as a window shawl so you can enjoy it's beauty is a great idea. It's so pretty.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

It's beautiful. I love the color. To me it seems melancholy, in a nice way (if that makes any sense!)--as if you should wrap it around you when you're feeling a little glum on some rainy November day.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Iris G said...

You are incredible. If I had a shawl like this, I'd be wearing it all the time!
Window shawl is such a brilliant idea, something this beautiful really should not be locked away.
Or maybe you can send it to a museum ;-)?

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it out of that draw and wear it-show it off- it is Stunning as they say in the Bronx.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is soooo beautirul. Wear it!!!

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, I wanted to say

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that is some gorgeous, intricate lace work. i sure as hell know i don't have it in me to knit something like that. nice job!!

7:59 AM  
Blogger YarnB said...

Connie, I don't even believe how gorgeous that is! I do not have the patience for lace. I wish I did when I see something like this especially-it is truly a work of art! I will write you this weekend. I hope you are doing well......

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home