Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Thursday, April 26, 2007

FOs and the beginnings of fair isle obsession

As I mentioned in my last post, I just finished my first felted project (a design for One Planet Yarn and Fiber that I can't reveal yet) and I find myself wanting to make more felted objects - slippers, bags, pouches, makeup bags, etc. To satisfy this new thirst, I casted on for the Lucy Bag last week and managed to finish it this week. With the help of my wonderfully talented cousin - who's a felting and knitting adept, I present to you, my latest finished object, the Lucy Bag:



The pattern called for 3 skeins of Cascade 220 for the large ball bag, but I managed to finish it with just 2 skeins. I used one of the gorgeous heather colorways of Cascade 220. I was torn between a beautiful, light turquoise heather and this richer, chestnut heather. In the end, I opted for the more practical color, one that would meld better with a variety of different outfits. It's a really simple pattern, but very cute, with a shorter strap serving as the closure.

Next up are these fair isle gloves from Sarah Dallas' Scottish Inspirations:



I really love Sarah Dallas' work. Her Vintage Knits book is one of my favorite pattern books. And I just admire her aesthetic - classic knits with great details. I saw Calia, part of Knitting Etc's team, working on these gloves last Tuesday at the shop and immediately felt the familiar pangs of project lust. Calia's gloves were very similar to the colorways (if I'm not misremembering) of the gloves in the book. Mine are a bit different. I had some leftover wool from one of my trips to Italy and there was some great Jamieson's at the shop. This is my first real attempt at fair isle and I really like the results. Next, I have to learn how to do two handed fair isle. And then I'll truly be a part of the church of fair isle.
Here is my glove so far:

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Connie
I have every faith that you can figure out the 2-handed fair isle. It's not that bad, though I'll admit to HATING it when I have to do knit and purl. Work it in the round. :)

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The glove is beautiful so far! I have never gotten the hang of fair isle, not that I've tried very hard to learn. It's on my list of things to try, if I can ever muster the concentration for something besides a simple sock pattern at the end of a work day!

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home