Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Best LYS

I've always wondered, does LYS stand for Local Yarn Shop or Little Yarn Shop? I guess for me, since my LYS is located in Ithaca (NY) and I live in New Brunswick (NJ), LYS will have to stand for Little Yarn Shop since Ithaca and New Brunswick aren't local to each other by any stretch of the imagination (for the curious, Mapquest puts the distance at 215 miles).

Knitting Etc
is the most welcoming yarn shop I've ever been to (and if you ask my husband, that's a lot of shops since I often plan trips around visiting the area's yarn meccas). There's a long, rectangular table set in the center of the store where everyone is welcome to sit for a spell (or 8 hours!) and knit, talk, or flip through books. Hickory, the owner, is very knowledgeable about knitting and yarn - often identifying yarn and patterns with the barest hint. To be in Knitting Etc is to be surrounded by a heady nirvana of textures, colors, and inspiration. It's often the first place I go to when I set foot in Ithaca.

Two Fridays ago, Knitting Etc had its first Happy Hour - a two hour stitch-eat-n-bitch fest. But I'll let the photos tell the story:



That's Ellie (Hickory's sister and a new knitter who's already knitting socks, hats, and her first sweater) on the left in the second photo, trying to duck out of my camera's range.

I'm just glad Knitting Etc in its current incarnation didn't exist when I was a grad student at Cornell - I would have gotten even less done if it had!

3 Comments:

Blogger Iris G said...

LYS =Local Yarn Shop, that's what I learned from KR a while ago. Although I have three of them in town, I rarely visit any (their prices are always on the high side). Enjoy your LYSs!

3:23 PM  
Blogger GC said...

I note "Happy Hour" in your post and a lot of Big Red Cups scattered around. What is in those cups??

8:18 PM  
Blogger Hickory said...

Wow, thanks! It sure was a fun evening, I wonder when the next one is? :) I glad you come as often as you do, though I wish it were more often!

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home