Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Twist Collective - Anniversary Issue



The new Twist Collective went up last night and I have a little cardigan in it - Peyton.

It uses Kollage Creamy yarn which, when I opened up the box last spring, I looked at with a healthy dose of skepticism -- yarn made out of milk protein? But I'm officially converted. Creamy has a really soft and lovely hand. And it's extremely comfortable to wear. Although the ball band calls for a fingering gauge, I knit this sweater up in a larger, sport gauge; and the result is a drapey fabric that looks equally great in smooth stockinette and lace.

Peyton is one of those examples of a happy accident. What I originally envisioned for this sweater was a series of half circles on the fronts of a cardigan that, when closed, would form full circles. But I hadn't anticipated that the increases and decreases involved in making the lace half spirals would distort the shape of the outer edge of the lace. The result is a gently scalloped edge and when I showed the swatches to Kate, I apologetically explained that I had meant the edges to be even and vertical. But she liked the scalloped edges and we decided that putting a few hook and eye closures at the widest point of the half circles would be a cute closure to the cardigan and emphasize the shape of the scallops.

As usual, I love how they styled and photographed Peyton.

Peyton is worked in one piece up to the armholes, where the fronts and back divide and are worked separately. Sleeves are worked flat and then seamed into the armholes. The front bands and collar are picked up and knit and then cast off using the tubular bind off method, leaving a nice rounded, elastic edge.

This issue also marks the one year anniversary of the Twist Collective. Happy anniversary, Twist! Thanks for providing both designers and knitters a great new venue for knitwear design.

8 Comments:

Blogger Team Knit said...

thanks for th emini review on kollage creamy, I've been wondering about the new yarns that are coming out made of different materials. The cardi is so pretty!

- Julie

12:00 PM  
Anonymous yvonnep said...

Thank you for this beautiful cardigan...

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another beautiful creation - what a gorgeous cardigan! Love it!!!

6:44 PM  
Blogger madder said...

wow, you're amazing! you keep designing really unique and wearable knits! so lovely.

5:50 AM  
Blogger mel said...

I agree Connie, I really like the scalloped edges, a very sweet detail!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

Very pretty --- sometimes the best ideas result from accidents!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Laura Nelkin said...

Gorgeous! I love when knitting a concept throws a curve ball that makes the final design even more unique!

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you never fail to amaze me!

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home