Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Summer IK and contest winner



The summer Interweave Knits is out and I'm so excited to have a design in it - the Apres Surf Hoodie.

At the time I was putting together my submission, I was working on a project for Yahaira's upcoming book, Pureknits, and I had a bunch of leftover Habu fingering weight silk wool left to swatch with:


For this hoodie, I was going for a very delicate, airy piece so I knew I wanted a fingering weight yarn combined with a small repeat lace. The Habu silk wool makes for a extremely light, gorgeous fabric - perfect for a beach coverup. The cashcotton 4 ply loses some of the sheen of the Habu, but has a delightful softness to it and the resulting sweater is more cozy while still retaining the lightness of my original idea. I thought the small repeat lace (dainty chevron) with its vertical structure would be flattering for a variety of body types.

The other main element of this design is the wide stockinette bands at the hem and sleeve cuffs. I love wide lace edgings on an otherwise plain stockinette sweater. For the hoodie, I thought it would be fun to turn that look on its head and have stockinette edgings on a lace sweater. To help the edges lie flat, attached i-cord gives it a clean finish. Finally, because I'm a sweatshirt kind of girl, I added a hood - a casual touch to counteract the potential fussiness of an allover lace garment.

In other news, with the help of a random number generator, I picked the winner of my brother's Threadless T-shirt. Number 6, AKA Mel, please contact me with a size preference and your address. And congratulations!

19 Comments:

Blogger Clumsy Knitter said...

Wow! That's my favorite item from the new issue, and I can't wait to knit it up! I didn't realize it was yours--congrats!

5:36 PM  
Blogger raining sheep said...

I loooove that hoodie, I can't wait to get my copy of the mag because I specifically noted that project as one I want to try my hand at. (I saw a preview on Knitting Daily). Awesome that you designed that...I am so jealous of your talent. However, I love people like you because you enable me to have some great knitting to look forward to.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

It's a beautiful sweater! I can not wait to get my copy of the magazine in the mail. Your design is the one I'm really anxious to knit.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

I know I've told you already but ....this is such a beautiful design.
Thanks for telling us all about the thought that went into it

7:06 PM  
Blogger kat coyle said...

very yummy hoodie! It's a hit!

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your design is my favorite one from that issue! I can't wait to knit it - although it may have to wait until next year since I've got last year's summer project queued up for the next couple of months. Oh, where does the time go?

6:12 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Congrats on another winner! It looks like it will be very popular-- I bet this one will show up quickly in the Knitting Daily pattern store.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Free Range Chick said...

You are such a creative designer. It is fun to see the thought process that went into it.

8:24 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Your sweater is my favourite also! I'm excited to knit it up, it's such a beautiful design! Congratulations!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Carin said...

Now I'm really looking forward to the new IK issue, your design is so pretty.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another issue of IK and once again your design is my favorite. Thanks for giving us a look at the ideas that went into it.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Jen (pieKnits) said...

It really is such a beautiful design and you created a lovely fabric!

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's such a beautiful design, you are so very talented!

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a stunning design! I've been hunting for the perfect summer hoodie and this is definitely it! Thanks!

12:27 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

this was one of my favorites of the issue! i can't wait to see people knitting it on ravelry :)

5:30 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

I love that hoodie, beautiful! Congrats again.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Summer IK issue, and the Apres Surf Hoodie is one of my favorite designs in it. You did a great job.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got my IK in the mail yesterday. About to add this pattern to my ravelry queue lickety split! It's awesome and so versatile!

11:07 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Connie, that is a great design. I'm buying the mag just for that pattern.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home