Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Spring Interweave

The spring issue of Interweave Knits is out now and I have two patterns in it: the Drawstring Chemise and the Printed Silk Cardigan.


I love delicate little camisoles made out of fine cottons or silks. To increase their wearability, I prefer knit camisoles done in an ultra fine gauge - otherwise, you get a hot, sticky, tank that doesn't fit into any season (too hot for summer, not warm enough for winter). With the Drawstring Chemise, I went back to the Diamond Mesh Lace which I had used before in my side paneled camisole for Sensual Knits. I love Mesh patterns in general, but I simply adore the Diamond Mesh - it's a beautiful, open, geometric stitch. I'm sure I'll use it again.

The Drawstring Chemise is knitted with Rowan Cotton Glace - a DK weight cotton. It's a very nice cotton with a firm, crisp hand, but as with all cottons, it can be a little hard on the wrists - especially when knitting lace (I tend to really tug on my k2tog's and ssk's). The sample Chemise is a little loose on me - I think it was 2" bigger than my bust measurement and I had to clip the back a little so it would fit properly. (I'll post soon a Chemise that I made for myself out of Artfibers Hana, a smooth, supple silk yarn in a slightly finer gauge (7 sts/in). The pieces are all blocked. It just requires a good session of seaming and finishing, but I find it really hard these days to do any personal knitting. It's like if I don't have a deadline flogging me to finish, it just doesn't get done. Sigh.)

For the Printed Silk Cardigan, I actually did my submission swatch in Blue Sky Alpaca and Silk. Eunny asked if it would be okay to change it to Fiesta La Luz, a 100% single ply silk with incredible sheen and drape. At first, I was a little hesitant because I thought it would be too drapey, but I really like how the twisted stitches in the nestled diamond motif look in the La Luz - much more subdued than they would have appeared with a bouncier, elastic yarn - "printed" was the perfect way to describe it (I didn't come up with the name). I think lots of substitutes would work for this design. Any cotton, silk, linen, or alpaca blend would have the requisite drape. For shine, I would make sure that the substitute contained a bit of silk or mercerized cotton.

Just for fun, I'll post a scan of the sketch I submitted. Please forgive the horrible drawing skills, my brother I ain't.


I wasn't sure if I preferred the sleeves to be done in the twisted stitch motif (main sketch) or if I wanted them in 1x1 rib (upper right), so I sketched out both possibilities. Eunny chose the latter and I'm glad she did. I think the 1x1 rib ties together the ribbing in the empire band and on the neckbands. The only other thing I changed was to ditch the narrow 1x1 ribbing at the hems. I preferred the smooth edge finish and the La Luz was drapey enough to make even a crocheted edge unnecessary. However, if you find that the body hems curl too much, it's a simple matter to add a single chain crochet finish.

I'm also very grateful for the great reception I've been receiving for the Henley Perfected. The last time I checked, 72 projects have been entered in Ravelry. I really appreciate the support and it's fun for me to see the different henleys people have made!

20 Comments:

Blogger Sandra said...

congrats on your two patterns in the spring interweave!! fabulous as always, connie!

8:02 PM  
Blogger kat coyle said...

They're both lovely I would definitely wear both of them. Great job!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Bravo! Your Henley Perfected was my favorite sweater from Winter Knits, and the Printed Silk Cardigan is my favorite from the Spring issue. Thanks for sharing this little behind-the-scenes glimpse of your design.

11:42 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Fantastic again Connie! Congratulations.

6:47 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

two new lovely knits! i saw that first little camisole in the magazine and thought, oh that's cute! and then saw it was yours :) i thought, of course! heheh.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Congrats! And thanks for including your sketch, it's a great way to see your designing process.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! You already know I love them, but I actually really like the cami with the extra bit of room on you. Maybe that will be my first summer knit of the year....
Congratulations!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

I love them both..thanks for sharing the background info on the design/submission too...always interesting to see/hear about the process!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Angelika said...

I love both of your projects, but might only be able to pull one of them off. I can't do camis like that. I'd need more straps on them. Can't wait to see what's next and the Henley is so on my list.

3:58 AM  
Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter said...

Both pieces are beautiful, Connie! I've sworn off handknit camisoles because somehow I don't end up wearing them much, but there might be a Printed Silk Cardigan in my future. Too bad there isn't much silk in the stash...

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Printed Silk Cardigan so much. Thanks for the modeled photos and suggestions. It's a big help when getting ready to start the pattern.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Free Range Chick said...

your patterns are beautiful. I love the new printed cardigan.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love your cardigan and I think t's going to be my next sweater project after my current one.

Congrats on two great designs getting published!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Just call me Ruby said...

Well done. I love the camisole. Can use up my considerable stash of cotton glace as soon as my Spring issue arrives.

Loved seeing your sketches too.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

So beautiful, both of them. I can't wait to see more of these knit up.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Wonderful patterns as usual! Thanks for giving us a little insight into the design and submission process.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Faith said...

That pink one is my #1 favorite in the whole issue! It's so lovely- congrats!

11:19 AM  
Blogger OLGAJAZZY said...

Connie, congratulations! I am so happy for you, I just got my Ik issue, it is amazing to get two designs in the same issue! I am so happy for you!! You go girl!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hi Connie: I really like all of your designs in IK. Do you think Artfibers Hana would work for the Printed Silk Cardigan?

7:01 PM  
Blogger bluey said...

The two patterns are lovely.

Had added them to my to knit list :)

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home