Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Monday, March 17, 2008

Drawstring Chemise #2


I have a wonderful friend who I've known since we were 5. She's the friend I've known the longest and while our friendship has waxed and waned over the years, it's been very constant in many respects. She's an inspiring, tireless individual - devoting her all to whatever endeavor she undertakes - from her day job in finance to her true passion and art, landscape photography, to her many charitable ventures. Several years ago, when my husband and I got married in his native Italy, she was one of my two middle school/high school chums who made the trek out. Not only was she a guest, but she also photographed our wedding, giving Maurizio and me the priceless gift of her artistic perspective on our special day. A black and white candid shot of my husband having his tie adjusted by his uncle is among my most prized possessions.

As if that weren't enough, several years ago, she gave us two framed photographs of my favorite images from her portfolio - a keyhole look through a natural bridge in Bryce Canyon and thematically similar if very different look through a portico in Cinque Terre.

I can never hope to match the many gifts she's given me. But in a first attempt, I made her a Drawstring Chemise, my design from the most recent Interweave Knits, out of Artfiber's Hana - a 100% plied silk. The gauge of the Hana is a bit smaller, but I prefer that look anyway. For camisoles and tanks, I think the finer the yarn is (within reason of course), the better, in order to preserve maximum drape.

Unfortunately, I was halfway through the Chemise when I noticed some dye irregularities in the Hana. There were distinct white spots. Artfibers immediately sent me out a replacement cone. So I suppose this will be my chemise and I hope to start on my friend's chemise as soon as possible.

Hana is a dream to knit with - very soft, very supple with the great sheen of silk. I love the feeling of it next to my skin. I'm so tempted to make a slim cardigan out of it. I'm not sure how well it'll hold up to use. Already in the chemise I have, I do see some fuzzing, but it's minimal, especially compared to many of the other silks out there on the market. Above all, I'm very impressed with Artfiber's customer service and how prompt they were to respond to my concerns.

7 Comments:

Blogger Veronique said...

Wow! It looks beautiful! I especially like the longer length. You're a great friend :)

5:09 PM  
Blogger mel said...

It's beautiful Connie. I'm glad that the yarn company was so accomodating and I'm certain that your friend will love it. How very special to be able to share your creative pursuits with one another!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Angelika said...

I love the color on this one. It looks great. I wish I could pull something like that one off.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've bought the Hana silk and made a top from it. I love it still today; the silk only improves with wear and washing! Artfibers is one of my favorite online stores.

8:14 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

i agree with V. the longer length is great!

7:15 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

What a beautiful camisole - shame about the yarn, but so glad to hear about the good customer service.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just found your blog and have been looking at your friend's photography site - it's amazing! She is so talented. What a creative pair you are! The top is so beautiful too, I'd never much noticed that pattern before but now I'm really tempted. Wonderful work and I'm glad you got the yarn sorted.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home