Hi There! PhysicsKnits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.conniechangchinchio.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Monday, July 24, 2006

Secret knitting and a Sunday in the city...

My husband's away for his weekly pilgrimmage to Ithaca which means I have time to knit his second wedding anniversary present - Interweave Knits' Cambridge Jacket in Rowan Calmer. The color is sage, a light, olive-y green. I chose Calmer rather than the called for Cascade 220 because the second anniversary gift is cotton. Of course, I'm about three months late, but I'm still really excited to give this to him. It's the first non-scarf, non-sock item I'm making for him. It's so expensive to knit for men. Those extra eight or so inches around the bust and several inches of height really add up to many more skeins of yarn.

Here's a picture of the jacket in progress against a cardigan he already has. I love the Rowan Calmer. It's so soft and squishy - not heavy at all like other cottons I have worked with. I just hope it doesn't have the other bad qualities of cotton - namely the growing problem.



My husband and I spent a very lovely day in the city on Sunday. We went to a cute place in midtown for brunch - Penelope's on Lexington Ave. The waiters and hosts were very nice even in the midst of the Sunday brunch rush and the food was delicious. Afterwards, we walked several blocks to the Morgan Library and Musuem. I loved the manuscript room with many first edition copies of books, sometimes owned by the authors themselves and personally annotated with their notes. They even had a back-of-the-envelope calculation on a real envelope by Galileo! And the Bronte sisters (and brother) kept journals covered in miniscule writing. It was very awe-inspiring to see these seemingly inconsequential squiggles that would later become such a part of our culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home